Selecting the perfect mattress size is no different from getting the right fit of underwear. Too big or too small and you will feel uncomfortable throughout your sleep. This guide provides you the low-down of each size and useful tips to consider when selecting the perfect size for your needs.
How To Choose The Right Mattress Size?
Did you know that mattress sizes vary from country to country even though they could be labelled the same like a Queen or a King? For instance, a Queen size mattress in Japan is 160 cm x 195 cm whereas a Queen size mattress in Singapore is 190 x 152 cm. It is therefore advisable to purchase your mattress based on the exact mattress dimensions instead of size labels like Single, Super Single, Queen or King, to ensure that the mattress fits your bed frame.
Here, we have compiled the commonly requested mattress sizes in Singapore for your convenience.
*There is a tolerance of +/- 2cm in actual mattress dimensions
In the following section, we are going to compare mattress sizes in Singapore to help you to choose the right size for a restful sleep.
Single Size Mattresses
A Single size mattress in Singapore is 91cm wide and 190cm long. Three advantages of a Single size mattress are:
- It takes up less space in the room – great for rooms in small flats!
- It costs less than a larger sized mattress
- It provides a reasonably comfortable sleeping size for adults and children
An average person moves more than 40 times a night, which includes a dozen full body turns. Consequently, the mattress size that you choose needs to accommodate your body movements in a way that does not affect your sleep quality.
For an adult and a teenager of a bigger build, a single size mattress, being only 90 cm in width may not provide enough room for turning from side to side. Hence, before placing your order for a single size mattress consider your sleeping habits and whether you have enough space for movement. Purchasing a mattress that restricts your movement may reduce your sleep quality.
Super Single Size Mattresses
A Super Single size mattress is about 20% wider than the Single size mattress. It is 107cm wide and 190cm long. If your room is spacious enough, opting for this mattress size is an excellent choice. Here are two reasons you might want to buy a Super Single size mattress:
- It improves sleep quality with more space for tossing and turning
- In most cases, the difference in price that you pay compared to a single size mattress is low compared to the extra space and comfort that you can enjoy.
Here’s an interesting fact about Super Single size mattresses. Besides Singapore, only Japan and China offer Super Single Size mattresses, although the measurements differ slightly from those in Singapore. In Japan, it measures 110cm by 195cm, while in China, it measures 100cm x 200cm.
This is exactly why it is good to order a mattress based on exact measurements rather than size labels, like Single, Super Single, Queen and King. Even for countries that are geographically close to each other, mattress sizes vary. Imagine the horror of ordering a mattress that does not fit your bed frame.
Queen Size Mattresses
Measuring 152cm by 190cm, the Queen size mattress is one of the most popular mattress sizes in Singapore. The Queen size mattress is an ideal size in Singapore for the following reasons:
- It offers a comfortable sleeping space for one person
- It is wide enough for two persons to share
- It can fit in most master bedrooms of HDB flats and private apartments.
To choose a Queen size mattress in Singapore you should consider the following:
- Does a Queen size mattress fit your bedroom without obstructing your walking space? We recommend at least 30 inches of space around the bed for easy movement.
- Are you sleeping alone or sharing with someone? A Queen size mattress can accommodate up to 2 adults + 1 child.
- Do you sleep on your side, stomach or back? Most of us sleep on our side, which would take up lesser bed space. Hence, you would find more than enough sleeping space on a Queen size mattress.
- What is your body weight and height? A Queen size mattress is 150cm by 190cm. This means that an average Singaporean can fit completely on the mattress.
- For a single person, a Queen size mattress may seem like an overkill. However, having more bed space is never a bad thing. If you find yourself tossing and turning a lot in your sleep then a Queen size mattress would certainly be ideal.
On the other hand, a Queen size mattress may not be partner friendly. Sharing a sleeping zone of 150 cm means that each person gets about 75 cm. When one partner moves, the other partner may be disturbed, resulting in a less restful sleep. Also, 75 cm of sleeping space is less comfortable than a single size mattress space of 90 cm for one person.
King Size Mattresses
Measuring 182cm by 190cm, the King size mattress is an excellent choice for couples, especially those who intend to co-sleep with a child.
- It allows each partner adequate space to move around
- It gives allowance to accommodate a child if needed
- It is a luxury for adults who sleep alone with plenty of space for tossing and turning
When it comes to bed sharing, everyone has their personal preferences. Sometimes, one person gives in to the other – but this isn’t a recommended solution as sleeping on a mattress that isn’t as supportive or soft as you’d like, can be more than a minor inconvenience. Backaches, headaches and sleepless nights can cause problems that will affect one person’s health and mood – and could lead to unhappiness in the relationship.
Finding a common ground is a better solution, although it isn’t optimal either, as neither partner gets to sleep on a mattress they love. But is there another solution?
Yes, there is! Why compromise when you can get the best of both worlds? With a built-to-order, customized latex mattress that features two differing levels of firmness, both you and your partner can enjoy a mattress that offers the perfect amount of support, comfort of firmness – for each of you.
For more information, browse Sofzsleep’s mattress and mattress accessories product collections online today:
Need more advice on which mattress to select? Feel free to contact us or head down to any of our showroom.