Baby Donut Pillow
Excellent pressure distribution with well-rounded baby head support.
Sofzsleep’s BABY DONUT pillow features a specially moulded concave centre design that helps prevent flat head syndrome (Positional Plagiocephaly) in babies and infants by relieving pressure on the head and neck muscles. The BABY DONUT is perfectly baby-friendly and toxic-free as it is made from Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 and EuroLatex Eco certified pure natural latex. It comes with a luxurious bamboo fibre cover which is 4 times more breathable than cotton fabric.
- Arc-shaped concave design ensures optimal angle for baby’s neck.
- Natural skin-friendly bamboo cover ideal for babies with sensitive skin.
- Maximal airflow ensures your baby stays cool and comfortable.
*Please use under adult supervision*
• Firmness: Medium
• Size: 29 x 25 x 5 cm (11.5″ x 10″ x 2″) – recommended for babies and infants from 3 – 24 months.
• The crater in the centre of the pillow reduces the pressure of a flat surface on a baby’s soft head.
• Reduce chances of baby’s skull to ‘flatten’ due to prolonged period on a ‘back rest’ position.
• Helps to develop a nice rounded head for babies and aids in the prevention of Plagiocephaly.
• Made with Oekotex® and Eurolatex certified natural latex, toxic-free with no formaldehyde.
• No off-gassing of noxious fumes.
• Natural bamboo pillow cover with anti-bacterial and antifungal properties with superb breathability makes it ideal for babies with sensitive skin or allergies.
• Swiss antimicrobial Sanitized® cover prevents the development of moulds, dust mites and fungi that could result in spots and odors.
• Easily removable cover for cleaning.
Preventing Flat Head Syndrome (Positional Plagiocephaly)
• A baby’s skull is made of soft, malleable bones, and prolonged sleeping on its back can lead to a flattening of the back of the head. Generally, the flat head syndrome condition will correct itself over time.
• Parents can also gently change the position of the baby’s head so that the flattened side is facing up.
• For longer periods of sleeping or naptime, it is important to support your baby’s head with a good and well-designed baby pillow.
What are the benefits of using a Baby Pillow?
• Arc-shaped contour adapts to baby’s head shape while providing optimum head and ergonomic neck support.
• Besides allowing head mobility, this helps babies to build up neck muscles over time.
• Improved blood circulation by using a baby pillow with the right softness and height (at least 3cm, adjusted gradually as baby develops). A baby’s brain development relies heavily on blood circulation and a baby pillow ensures adequate movement of blood to the brain and developing body organs.
• Even temperature distribution around the head allows babies to feel cooler and sleep longer. Sofzsleep’s Baby Donut Pillow is made of certified pure natural latex that is breathable for better air circulation and allows for maximal airflow ventilation to avoid trapped heat.
• Our premium natural latex and bamboo yarn are made in Belgium.
• Mattress comes with luxurious Bamboo fibre cover.
• Each latex layer is well protected with inner protective cover.
• Bamboo has an unique natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and odour resistant fibre.
• Sanitized® cover helps to prevent the development of moulds, dust mites and fungi.
• Bamboo fibre fabric is 4 times more permeability than cotton fabric.
• Our pillow/bolster is made with 100% pure latex, without any polyurethane foam, coconut sheets or metal springs.
• Sometimes the pillow/bolster has a noticeable smell when you open the packaging. The smell isn’t harmful or toxic and disappears over time.
• Airing and vacuuming the pillow/bolster helps to eliminate the smell faster.
• Keep latex pillow/bolster away from direct sunlight.
• Care instructions for Bamboo cover
- Do not tumble dry
- Do not soak
- Do not bleach
- Do not iron
- Dry Clean
- Machine wash below 30℃ on a delicate setting; shrinkage may occur
• To prolong the pillow’s life, you can consider getting a pillow protector or extra pillow cover.
• Generally, pillows should be changed every two to three years for hygiene reasons.
• Latex pillows are more durable than other types (polyester, for example), maintaining support for longer without a reduction in comfort.
All Sofzsleep products are certified to be non-toxic and free from formaldehyde, Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PDBEs), chemical flame retardants, organic tin compound and other toxic chemicals.
Most pillows of this price range don’t fit well. Either too thick or the indentation simply don’t hold baby’s head properly. This one works well after many trial and errors with various brands. Highly recommended for babies 1 or 2m and older.
Initially bought the toddler size for my kid and I find that she sleeps quite well. Decided to buy this for my 4 months old baby. He sleeps quite well in this too, but like other mummies commented, baby does slides down after a while if he keeps moving while on the pillow. But I think this is a common problem with such pillows as I’ve used other brands and baby does slides off the pillow if he moves too much. Overall a good buy since he does sleep well with it.
When can a baby sleep with a pillow?
If you are expecting a baby, one of the most enjoyable tasks is prepping up the nursery room to welcome your little one. As adults, sleeping without a pillow would probably give you a stiff neck or shoulder ache in the morning, which might make us wonder if babies should sleep with a baby pillow, or stay away from it.
According to American Academy of Paediatrics (AAP), soft objects such as pillows and pillow-like toys, quilts, comforters, sheepskins, and loose bedding can obstruct an infant’s nose and mouth. Hence, AAP recommends the introduction of pillows to your little ones only when they reach the age of 18 months when the risks of SIDS and SUDI are greatly reduced.
How to choose the right baby pillow
Sudden unexpected death in infancy (SUDI) is a broad term that includes SIDS and fatal sleeping accidents and often used to describe a situation when a baby dies unexpectedly and for no obvious reason.
To reduce the risk of SIDS and SUDI, parents are strongly encouraged to put babies to sleep on their back (“Back to Sleep”).
A baby’s skull is made of soft, malleable bones, and prolonged sleeping on its back can lead to a flattening of the skull. This is termed positional plagiocephaly. The condition often improves by the time the baby turns 12 months. However, severe plagiocephaly can lead to complications such as developmental delays, seizures, and blindness.
Hence, to prevent positional plagiocephaly, a suitable and baby-safe pillow could be introduced during day naps and used under supervision to support the baby’s head.
Certified Safe and Toxic-free
A baby’s immunity system is immature when they are born. Hence, it is important to ensure that a baby pillow is certified to be safe and toxic free before you introduce it to your baby.
Get the right size and firmness.
- If the pillow is too soft, it may cause self-induced suffocation.
- If the pillow is too thick, it may cause a strain on your baby’s neck.
- If the pillow is too big, it may increase the risk of suffocation.
Avoid loose parts
Pillows made with small pellets or beads may increase the risk of choking when there is any tear on the cover.
Best Pillow Material for Babies
Natural latex baby pillows promote a good night’s rest for your child. Here are some advantages:
- Safe & Certified Non-Toxic
International certification such as Oekotex Standard 100 and Intertek which attest to the safely and hygiene of the products is important for babies. Latex pillows are best for babies only when it is certified to be safe and free from formaldehyde, organic tin and other harmful chemicals.
- Natural Dust-mite Resistant
Compared to other mattress materials such as bean sprout kernels or synthetic fibre, latex is naturally hypoallergenic, mould-resistant and prevents dust-mite infestation.
- Baby-Safe Support
Natural latex baby pillows have an optimum cavity in the middle of the pillow, mimicking the hand of a mother. This ensures that the pillow conforms to your baby’s head, preventing Plagiocephaly.
Compared to other materials such as cotton, natural latex is much more durable. Natural latex pillows can also be easily cleaned and maintained, improving the pillow’s longevity.